Skip to main content

Standard Times NG

Gunmen attack Adeleke’s convoy in Osogbo

Gunmen on Wednesday attacked the convoy of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, shortly after he received his Certificate of Return and visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji.

The incident, which occurred around the Ataoja’s palace, sent traders, residents and other occupants of the area fleeing as security personnel attached to the governor engaged the attackers in a gun battle lasting between 12 and 15 minutes.

Adeleke had arrived at the palace at about 3:15pm in a convoy of roughly 20 vehicles after leaving the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), where he was presented with his Certificate of Return following his re-election.

According to an eyewitness who spoke on condition of anonymity, the governor had met with the traditional ruler and reportedly presented his election certificate to the monarch. Trouble began shortly after the meeting ended and prayers had been offered.

The eyewitness said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit traditionally used by the monarch and his wives and was inside his vehicle with some aides when gunshots erupted. The attackers were said to have arrived in an unregistered Sienna vehicle through the Ita Olokan axis.

Another resident, identified as Munirat, said the attackers appeared to have anticipated the governor’s movement and may have positioned themselves around the palace before his arrival. She alleged that the assailants also fired towards the palace gate, causing damage, before security operatives pushed them back.

The violence reportedly spread towards the vicinity of the Osogbo Central Mosque and the Ita Olokan area along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road as the attackers exchanged fire with the governor’s security personnel before fleeing. The incident created panic, with traders abandoning their shops and residents scrambling for safety.

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack, saying the governor’s security team successfully repelled the assailants. He said no casualty was recorded in the incident. As of about 4:45pm, sporadic gunshots were still reportedly being heard in parts of the area, while several businesses remained shut amid heightened tension.

Tags

Share this post:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

em ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur.