May 20, 2026
Nationwide

Insecurity: Okpebholo warns ‘Yahoo Boys’, vows same sanctions as Cultists

  • May 19, 2026
  • 0

By: Titus Oise, Benin. The Edo State Government on Monday declared that internet fraudsters, fondly called “Yahoo Yahoo boys,” would henceforth face the same level of sanctions and

Insecurity: Okpebholo warns ‘Yahoo Boys’, vows same sanctions as Cultists

By: Titus Oise, Benin.

The Edo State Government on Monday declared that internet fraudsters, fondly called “Yahoo Yahoo boys,” would henceforth face the same level of sanctions and enforcement measures currently deployed against cultists and kidnappers in the state.

The State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Prince Kassim Afegbua, said the government was determined to rid the state of all forms of criminality threatening public peace and damaging the image of Edo State.

Afegbua disclosed this while addressing journalists during the state government’s regular media briefing in Benin City, where he lamented the recent violent incident at the main gate of the University of Benin.

According to him, reports surrounding the incident alleged that the victim was killed over unresolved sharing of proceeds from internet fraud activities, a development he described as disturbing and unacceptable.

He stressed that the administration of Governor Monday Okpebholo would not relent in its ongoing campaign against criminal elements across the state.

“Please, we are calling on the Edo public to understand that our zero tolerance for cultism is still very much in force, and no amount of persuasion will make us shift from that agenda,” Afegbua said.

“We are even going to add the issue of Yahoo Yahoo to that now because we are seeing that, as cultism is being tackled head-on, some persons are now hiding under the guise of internet fraud to perpetrate havoc. The incident at the University of Benin Main Gate is a ready example,” he added.

The commissioner maintained that the governor remained focused on restoring law and order in the state, insisting that no opposition or criticism would derail the government’s anti-crime policies.

“We are going to sustain our commitment to ensuring that we nip these crises in the bud.

We may not have solved all the challenges associated with cultism, but Edo people can testify that the state has become relatively peaceful, except for pockets of kidnapping recorded in some areas,” he stated.

Speaking further, Afegbua unveiled plans by the state government to ease transportation difficulties faced by residents through the introduction of Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)-powered buses across the state.

He disclosed that the government had already taken delivery of 50 high-capacity 52-seater buses and was expecting an additional 50 buses to increase the fleet to 100.

According to him, the buses would soon be deployed across the three senatorial districts of the state to improve transportation services, reduce commuting stress and minimise the risks commuters encounter while travelling within and outside their communities.

The commissioner also appealed to residents to desist from dumping refuse in waterways and drainage channels, warning that such practices could worsen flooding, especially as the Federal Government had already issued flood alerts for parts of the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *